Thursday, June 28, 2012

WAYT: I've got the fever


I have a confession to make: I’m not always right.  (What am I thinking, admitting to being wrong?  My husband will undoubtedly print this out, frame it and wave it in my face at every available opportunity!)

Usually when I’m wrong, I like to be very hard-headed and take way too long to admit it.  So once and for all, I will just come out and say it.  I like Justin Bieber’s music. 

I have fought him off for years.  I find Bieber, as a person, to be absolutely obnoxious.  I do not believe that anyone his age should be getting up to some of his antics.  For example, should a 17 year old be on vacation in Hawaii with his then-19 year old girlfriend and be photographed with his tongue down her  throat?  Should a 17 year old be driving a car likened to the Batmobile?  Should a 17 year old be commenting about Canadian healthcare policies in entertainment news magazines?

And come on with that hair.  That used to be my biggest annoyance.  Thank the Lord he finally cut it. 

But dang if he doesn’t make catchy music!  And you know how I love music

I’ve been wrong about pop culture phenomena before.  I mercilessly mocked my sister for liking the movie Twilight.  And now look at me – my first website visit every day, after my email, is www.twifans.com.  I spent several hours of my life trying to figure out a way to trick my husband into giving our son a Twilight-related name.  Last November, I went to a Twilight movie marathon and watched nothing but Twilight movies for ten hours straight. 

Now, I just got back from my local Target store where I purchased an iTunes gift card so that I can buy the new Justin Bieber CD.  (For $14.99, this CD better validate my complete 180 on Bieber.)

I thought you could never make a Twi-Hard out of me.  I also swore you could never make a Belieber out of me.  What is the world coming to?  I’m supposed to be a grown woman!  I’m supposed to be growing more cultured with age!  Maybe I should start listening to 60’s music or something…

I blame it all on The New Kids on the Block.  If they hadn’t been the thing when I was in first grade, where would I be now? 

But I can’t deny it anymore.  Justin Bieber’s got the right stuff (see what I did there, NKOTB fans?) that makes me turn up the volume and sing along. 

What do you think of Justin Bieber?

No comments:

Post a Comment