Sunday, February 12, 2012

WAYT: Rap Music Haters

I love the Grammys!  You know why?  Because I love music!  I especially love the Grammys, because it’s every kind of music in one night, in one location.  A giant music love fest, live on TV.  I love it!

The Grammys appeal to me because I appreciate all different types of music.  I like country, rock, rap, punk, and lately, I especially like the lesser-known acts that are slowly making it onto mainstream radio.  So it bothers me when I hear many people out there say that they absolutely hate rap music.  My mom, in particular, flies into a rage whenever she hears thumping bass at a stoplight.

What are you thinking, rap haters?  Have you ever listened to a rap song?  Can I point out some good rap music for you?  Maybe I can change your mind.

Let’s first agree that there are rap songs and rap artists out there that are absolutely obnoxious.  Let me choose one artist in particular: Eminem.  When he first came onto the scene, he was pure entertainment.  His lyrics were annoying and his music videos were batty.  But since then, Eminem has really changed.  He went through the Hollywood wash cycle – shoot to stardom, drugs, divorce, rehab, new album – and now his music is even more mainstream, and the tone is much different.

Doesn’t everyone know the hook from “Love The Way You Lie”?  That song is the best.  He raps and it has the deep bass beats that my mom hates, but do you know the words that Eminem sings?  The song talks about an abusive relationship in a very honest and raw way.  He tries to spin out the jumbled mess of emotions involved in the relationship and what both sides goes through.  I think that when music of any genre elevates something more than entertainment, the artist should be respected.  Even if Eminem didn’t write those lyrics (in fact, he did - genius), he’s still advocating something.  And that’s to be commended, in my book.

There are also rap artists whose voices are pure music.  Ever heard of Ludacris?  Most of his songs are raunchy (I think they’re fun) but that voice!  It’s deep, but there’s a real harmony and magnetism in his tone.  Drake and T.I. are other rappers with killer voices.

Someday, I’m sure I will no longer like this kind of music.  But I hope that I always appreciate good lyrics.  And I hope that I don’t discriminate simply based on genre.

The other day, I was talking to a work colleague about music.  His teen daughters don’t understand why he doesn’t know about the music that they like, and for him the answer is simple.  He just doesn’t care.  It’s not important to him.  He sticks with what he likes, which is to say, what he liked when he stopped caring about music.

I, on the other hand, care a lot about music.  I love to sing and my biggest wish right now is to buy a guitar so I can get my Taylor Swift on.

Rap went through a real explosion when I was younger and that may have made me partial to its sound.  But I want all of you out there who hate rap music to think about why you hate it.  It is the culture the music supposedly promotes?  It is the lyrics in some of the songs?  Trust me, that’s not true of every artist and every song.  Some of it is art and I’m begging you, don’t hate all of it because of how you feel about some of it.  I promise, there’s something for anyone to love, at least like, out there.

Did I mention, the Grammys?  And that I love them?  Tune in so we can later bash Nicky Minaj – she sings rap music that I dislike.  (See how I said “dislike,” instead of “hate”?)

P.S. In a post today about music, I have to say God bless Whitney Houston.  The news of her passing stopped me in my tracks.  She brought something beautiful to the history of music.  I hope that her soul finds peace now.

1 comment:

  1. I must say I am shocked to hear you like rap! Haha I had no clue, even after all these years! I'm a lover of rap, but some annoys me! Especially the super repetitive junk, to me it shows they really don't have talent!

    ReplyDelete